Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tool # 10

What's the big "dealio" about the Ipad I asked my friend. It's a glorified Ipod or mini Macbook I complained. Well answer me she did. She is an interior designer who often meets with clients at their homes away from her office. She explains how easy it is to whip out her Ipad and show her clients her design proposals as opposed to lugging her laptop around everywhere. Hmmm I see that being useful, but I'm not sold! Sidenote: I am the PROUD owner of a macbook and Ipod (I'm on my 2nd) so I'm pro apple just con ipod. Here are my complaints: Please Ipad fans give me reasons why I'm being overly cynical!
1. Awkward size-too big for pocket or purse, you need a small carrying case or briefcase (get a laptop then)
2. Use your phone to call not a giant book- Yes you can get an app that allows you to make calls from your IPad but doesn't your phone do the same thing with less hassle? (and I bet you even have an iphone!)
3. Money not well spent-For 500-800 dollars I'd rather put it towards a laptop or hey even save a couple "hundo" and get an ipod or iphone because from what I can see (once again please let me know what I'm missing!) you'd be making a better investment.

Ok moving on from my rant about Ipads (you just have to get it out sometimes you know!?) I definitely love having ipods in the classroom. I've read a lot of users who have posted reviews about using the ipod with their students who have cognitive disabilities. What a great tool to give those who need a little extra. My kids love hangman and touch hockey. I'd prefer they play more educational games than touch hockey but as long as they are only playing it occasionally I'm ok with it. I'm intrigued by the Level app (which transforms the screen into a ruler both metric and customary) because I can already picture a scavenger hunt during our measurement unit! I'm looking forward to taking an Ipod staff development class this Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment